Regarding: my traumatic creative writing experience yesterday...
I was supposed to workshop my piece, and had to read the sestina out loud. So I did that, and everyone just sat there. And she was like, okay, maybe you can explain a little about how the structure of the sestina works. So I tried to explain that the end words all repeat in differing patterns. And everyone just sat there. Blank stares. You know. So she tries to spark discussion, and no one really bites, so we're all just sitting there. It was awful. And then, FINALLY, Sil comes to my rescue and is like, "well, I think it's about this love from the past and she was hurt but realizes that she can move on, blah blah," and went on forever and did this great reading of it. I was even impressed. Thank you Sil. And THEN (this is the worst part ever!), my prof leans over and says, in this emotional, don't-worry-if-you-start-to-cry, you-can-tell-me-anything-voice, "was there a suicide attempt?" ?!?!?! What?! Ha ha, I was like, Ummm, no! So great, everyone thinks I tried to commit suicide now. I hadn't looked at my poem that way at ALL! It's funny, it makes me think of all the analysis we do in poetry class, and if maybe we're just totally misinterpreting a ton of old classics that we thought we knew so well. Ha ha. So that was awkward. After, my professor was like, "I do that sometimes, last year, a guy wrote a poem about Caffeine, and I said 'there are tons of homoerotic rape symbols in here!' and he was like, 'that's cool!'" I was like, oh man, at least my poem doesn't have homoerotic rape messages in it.
I guess the moral of the story is: never share your poems, because you never know how someone might interpret them.. ha ha just kidding. But it was kind of sad... I'm not suicidal and morbid, I promise!
Also, last night we had a cooking class that was Amazing! It was so fun, we made GNOCCHI, with two sauces, and chicken, and a chocolate cake! Way fun. Craig got flour on me though... not cool
Ciao!
No comments:
Post a Comment