15 August 2005

København, or Københamn

Well, I'm in an internet cafe in København (Copenhagen). It is SO awesome here, I absolutely, positively love it! We got in Saturday night, after the Tower of London on Saturday before we left, and stayed in Copenhagen sleep-in hostel (more about that later) . Yesterday (Sunday) we took the train to see a relative of mine, David Weckner, in Sweden. He had said to take a specific train, because only a few run from Helsingør, Danmark to Helsingbørg Sweden, and we almost almost missed it! So we were waiting in line to ask someone to tell us what the hell train to get on. David had said to catch the 10:23 train from Central Station, and it was 10:10, and we were at Østerport station. We were in line, and I saw a train going to the Airport, and Malmö, and was like, Chris, we're just taking that train, we might as well, and we'll probably be able to catch one from the airport station anyway. So we got on that train, RUNNING, because it was in the station, and it was the right train!!!! It was actually giong to Helsingbørg, even though it hadn't said so on the Departures info. I was SO relieved. So we took the train over the bridge, which was really cool, although I was sad they didn't stamp my passport going into Sweden :) We met David in Lund, the college town in Sweden. It was beautiful! The town was really picturesque, and lovely. It was nice walking around. We got lunch there, and then David drove us up to Råå, a town just South of Helsingbørg. It was absolutely GORGEOUS there. Right on the water, a beautiful sunny, hot day, and you could see across to Danmark. Very pretty. I am moving there, or at least getting a summer house there :) I loved it. Then, David drove us back down to Malmö, in Southern Sweden, where we spent the night in a nice hostel. He took us out to dinner, too, which was nice. He could translate for us, which I was thankful for. David is really the sweetest guy ever, I would love to go back and visit him, and the rest of our family in Sweden, and Norway. I really loved meeting up with him, too, because we actually got to see REAL Sweden. Not just the touristy areas, but the countryside, driving up North, and the real towns and villages. It was just perfect.
Today, we walked around Malmö for a while, then took the train back to Danmark, after I bought some Swedish horses. Københagen is really fun. We dropped our stuff in lockers at the hostel, which is crazy! It's the typical shady place that you think of when you think 'hostel'. We stayed there Saturday night when we got in, and it's just this Huge warehousetype place, with little cubicle rooms, separated by thin cardboard walls and curtain doors. Ha! It's quite funny, actually, a real European experience. So we dropped stuff off, locking it up, thank God, then took a bus tour around the city. So, now I'm here. It is so incredibly strange being in a country where I don't even understand the language. I've never had this experience before, and it's slightly nervewracking, especially when I'm trying to catch a train or something. Oh well, I'm enjoying myself a lot here.I keep feeling like everyone is watching us when we walk by. I sthat weird? Maybe it's because we're American. Can they really tell??
Anyway, I should wrap this up, but I just wanted to update... I'm having a blast, I'm safe, and, although struggling with the language, it's not really a big deal because most people speak English. Sorry if the post is messy, the keyboard is weird (I can type cool things like; æ, ø, å, ¤, ö, ä, ë, etc. etc. :) Ha ha. K, Tack and I'll update at some point later!
Cheers,
Galen

No comments: