I am becoming a pro of public transportation. Any city in Europe you stick me in, I could find my way around. I love the transportation here, it is amazing. Now, if only Seattle had an underground like this, or buses that ran like clockwork and told you on a little screen in how many minutes your bus would be there. Amazing.
Got up this morning and took the train into the city center to have lunch, then walked up to the old, gutted Church left over from the bombings of Berlin in WWII.
It is so strange. Being here in Berlin makes me realize that the wound of WWII is still so raw, so new. Hell, it was only 60 years ago that it ended. Today we were walking down the street, along where the Berlin wall once stood. I actually shouldn't say once, seeing as that was only taken down about 16 years ago. It just boggles my mind. We went to where the SS headquarters, and Gestapo, once were, there was a nice little memorial there. And I say nice as in, it was a good thing to see. Definately not nice. We walked through with headphones on, very touristy, learning about the anti-Jewish acts that the crazed Nazi's committed. It makes me so sick, looking at all those pictures. There was one of some SS or SA soldiers, I can't remember, shooting some men in the back of their heads. The men were kneeling, dressed in rags, with their innocent, bone-thin hands up in the air, and one of them men shooting them was smiling. It just makes me sick.
After that, we took another train to the Allied Forces museum, which was also really interesting. I read all of the information in French, which was nice because I think I've become a little rusty. Now, if only I could become fluent in Italian like that in the next, oh, two weeks. We'll see...
Right now, I'm preparing myself for the hell that is tomorrow morning... Our flight leaves at 7:15... if you're not familiar with the European time system, they us the 24 hour clock... So yes, that is 7:15 AM. Which means we have to be at the airport at 5:15, which means we have to leave here around 4:30. That's definately going to be fun. I just feel bad for the people in our room, and whoever checks us out tomorrow at that unGodly hour. Oh well.
I bought some blackberries from a woman selling fruits and vegetables on the corner as we were going back through the woods to the hostel. They were fat and juicy and amazing, I loved them.
I'm going to go finish Life of Pi. I have about 200 pages left... I think.... But I know I can finish it tonight...
Cheers,
Galen
No comments:
Post a Comment