25 February 2011

Very Important Date

I think we chose a great date for our wedding.

Don't you think, ladies? On our wedding date:

1920 – The 19th amendment to United States Constitution takes effect, giving women the right to vote
1970 – The then new feminist movement, led by Betty Friedan, leads a nation-wide Women's Strike for Equality
1971 – the US Congress declares this date an annual Women's Equality Day

Once Mr. Candy Apple and I decided on a date, I figured I should probably google the date, and check facebook to see whose birthday will share our anniversary. Am I the only person to do this?!

I like to think that my subconscious, feminist self chose this date specifically for the above reasons, and that each time we celebrate our anniversary, I will silently cheer on and toast the women who fought so that I could obtain an education, and work in the profession that I do, and earn enough to support myself, and decide for myself whether or not I will change my last name, and feel a sense of self-worth and empowerment.

Did you choose your wedding date for any particular reason? Were there any sentimental associations with your wedding date? Did you find out later (like me!) that there were fun (or maybe not-so-nice) coincidences with your date?

No comments: