07 July 2005
London
This morning, some friends and I were going to take the underground to the Imperial War Museum before meeting up with the rest of the SCU group for 'A Winter's Tale' at the Globe Theater. I had to wait with Colin for his ticket, but Chris, AJ, Nick, and Eric went ahead. They called and said that the underground was closed due to a 'power surge' but that they were going to take the bus. Colin and I were about to take the bus when Eric called, saying they were just coming back to Ramsay Hall where we're staying. We went back and, wanting to know what was going on, went into the tv room upstairs. Apparently there were 5 explosions in the underground, and two explosions (confirmed) on double decker buses. On bus keeps being shown, with it's top blown off, the rest twisted into a heap of red metal. It's awful. There are eyewitnesses talking about people coming out of the tubes with bloodied faces and head wounds, covered in soot. This is like what I imagined 9/11 was like, but I'm actually here. People are just jamming the streets near where the explosions happened, some crying, etc. One of the professors said he was in his room in the hotel that they're staying at and he felt the whole room shake and a lot of soot blew into his room. This is kind of scary. Thank God neither my friends nor I got onto the underground or a bus today. It's a good thing we were running a little late, or else we might have been on either one. I called my parents a billion times before I actually got through, because the network is so jammed up, but I got through, and let them know that I'm okay. Dad is somewhere in France, Avignon, I believe? And I woke mom up at 2 am Seattle time. Oh well, I didn't want them to freak out if they saw the news. I don't even know what they're saying in Seattle or the US about what happened. Also called Jeff to let him know I was okay. It was good talking to him. And my parents. I got a cell phone here with a sim card so now anyone can call if you want to talk or anything. I'll let you know my number. Anyway, I'm okay, and am praying for the victims and their families, etc. and thanking any higher power that we weren't on those buses or undergrounds.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment