Or, Our Engagement Shoot: The Saga
Our engagement shoot was a long time coming. Let me just say that there are many, many reasons why planning a wedding long-distance is difficult! Mr. CA and I aren't able to get out to Seattle very frequently (6 hr flights + ridonc airfare = not many visits), and our photogs are always shooting weddings (duh!!), so it was tricky getting a time that worked for everyone.
Then, once we finally were able to figure out a time, I of course started freaking out about what to wear. I realize that this may have been unncessary stress, but come on, I wanted to have a cute outfit! Because the shoot was going to be in Seattle, in February, all of my adorable dresses (that I really really really wanted to wear) were out of the question. Unless I wanted to get hypothermia. Sigh. So, I dragged Mr. CA to multiple stores looking for the perfect e-shoot outfit, mainly because I don't know how to dress myself. I tried on about 10 different jackets/ sweaters/ swackets at Anthopologie, in an attempt to get a slouchy, boho-chic look, and then progressed on to J. Crew, trying on some various sparkly tops for a more prepster look. Yeah, that didn't happen. I ended up with a cute little sweater that was more mid-century housewife than boho or prepster.
Then there was the whole weather issue. Snow and rain predicted for the day of our shoot? Yeah, not such ideal weather conditions for an outdoor engagement shoot. Yikes. Add to that the fact that we had a very early, very busy day on Friday, and I officially was not looking forward to the shoot. Not going to lie, my nervousness had progressed to full-on terror. Compound that with the fact that I am not the most photogenic person, and I was peeing my pants a bit over the whole engagement-shoot thing.
{Via Sweet N Sassy Girls}
She also put some purple eyeliner on me. WTH?? I was a nervous about this too, but of course she's an artist and knows what she's doing, so I didn't question her (out loud. Internally, I was all don't you dare eff up my makeup, lady). And the purple? It rocked. It seriously made my blue eyes pop. It was so awesome, in fact, that I went out and bought some purple eyeliner. I'm so fashion-forward!
My hair involved some kind of funky braid going across the back. It sounds crazy, but it was excellent. I told her I wanted something Scandinavian-esque, and she looked at me like I was nuts (I am). I think she got the vision I was going for, though.
And then there was the shoot itself. Yes, I am awkward in front of the camera. Yes, I do not think I am photogenic. Yes, I felt like a beached whale at times. This, along with the fact that we were in some of the most awkward poses ever, made me slightly uncomfortable. Laying head-to-head on a damp, mossy picnic table. Sitting on tree branches. Scrambling up said tree branches. Leaping around in the mud until my shoes fell off. Gazing up at Mr. Candy Apple, keeping my chin down, and simultaneously straining to avoid the dreaded double-chin. Yeah. Fun, huh?
But I promise, it was fun! After a while, I warmed up a bit to the whole thing, and we had some fun with it. It was nice meeting our rockin' photographer, hanging out with Mr. CA, and canoodling in public.
I'll leave you with a few more pictures (because I'm vain)...
I am holding him up here. That branch was a lot further off the ground than it looks!
Lovely light. Lots of cuddles.
How was your engagement shoot? Did you feel awkward at all? Were you as self-conscious as I was? Any mishaps (I want to hear!)?? Did the pictures still come out looking awesome?
*All images are (c) Sarah Rhoads Photography, unless otherwise noted





No comments:
Post a Comment