11 November 2006

kiva

I just learned about this amazing organization yesterday. It is called Kiva, and it helps out impoverished people (in Africa, Latin America, Asia, etc.). However, it is not your typical donation "let's give to the poor" organization. Why? Because instead of just giving them money, which will eventually run out, you give them microloans, or small loans (right now they are only letting you lend $25 because of the huge amount of people that have loaned in the past few days) to help them jumpstart businesses. It is a win-win situation, because you're donating to people that need it, and the money you give helps them start businesses, and get on their feet. Plus, your money gets paid back! So, you could set aside a certain amount of money to donate, and, once it gets paid back, you can just lend it to someone else. It's great. And apparently it almost always gets paid back. And, if not, you were going to donate it anyway. At least it's going to a good cause.

So that's cool. Check it out at www.kiva.org

I'm so glad that it is finally the weekend. One more week until Immersion Trip to Tijuana! I can't wait. Next week in my poetry class, we're having a pizza party; how middle-schoolish! Ha, I love it. I really want a smoothie right now... maybe I'll run to Jamba Juice.

ciao

No comments: