07 August 2006

pubquiz

I feel like I am constantly starting posts these days with, "Well, I haven't written for a while..." I feel lame for not posting more often, although it is probably good of me to actually be out doing things than constantly in front of my computer updating my blog.

Let's see, what has been happening. Well, for starters, I went to Switzerland for about 5 days. It was amazing, of course, as Switzerland always is (haha, what a jet-setter I am). The flight over, might I say, was awful. Stupid Lufthansa switched my seats, so instead of a nice, comfortable seat, they sat me next to a terribly obese man who had to put the arm-rest up because his fat was spilling over into my seat. Now, normally, I do not care one cent if a person is obese; that is their health problem, not mine. But when they are taking up half of my seat on a 10 hour flight, then I get angry. I really should have complained to a flight attendant and made them give me a different seat, but, being the passive person that I am, I didn't and got stuck with half a seat for the duration of the flight. Plus, there were a million Spanish students on the flight, being obnoxiously loud, and two Italian males with the worst B.O. I have smelled since I was abroad that would waft back to my seat every time anyone walked by. Needless to say, it was not a pleasant flight.

But Switzerland was awesome. Dad had his little meeting in Lausanne, so I got to wander around Geneve by myself all day on Thursday. I went to St. Pierre, which was beautiful, and then I got to go down to see the archeological ruins underneath; apparently there has been a church of some form or another on that site since 380 C.E, and it was a site of pagan worship before that. So I got to see some really old wells and gorgeous mosaics that are still fairly well-preserved. It was awesome, you know me, the history nerd. So that was neat, went to the Museum of the Reformation too, which was interesting. Then I just wandered around the old town, and by the waterfront with the Jet d'Eau, which was really cool, but kind of random. Friday, dad and I took the train to Zermatt to see the Matterhorn. Zermatt is a very sweet, beautiful, quaint town, with lots of cool shops. We got a fondue lunch, and I had a lot of fun, although it was frustrating because it had just rained, and it was clearing up as we were getting into the town by Clogtrain. But, there was one, solitary cloud in the sky and it was RIGHT over the Matterhorn. So I couldn't really get a good picture. But right as our train was pulling away later, I got a glimpse of it, and it was awesome.

We stopped in Lausanne on the way back to Geneve, and got caught in a freak thunderstorm. We were down at the waterfront eating ice-cream and we could see these black black clouds rolling up, so dad's like, we need to leave NOW. So we're running up the hill to the train station as fast as we can when it starts to POUR. Not just rain, but RAIN, like in Forrest Gump when it's coming sideways and up from under you. The trees were all swaying and leaves were blowing all over the place, small bits and pieces of them getting lodged in my eyeballs. Now, I'm wearing a skirt in an attempt to look Euro-fabulous, so I'm running up the hill with the wind blowing my skirt up. I'm pretty sure I flashed about every Swiss male and female that we passed. So, we're running up the hill, my dad yelling shit! shit! as his silk shirt and glasses are getting wet, my skirt is flying up around my ears, and I am essentially running blind because of the massive amounts of debris that are lodged in my contacts. So I start laughing maniacally as we're running. I am pretty sure that we looked insane. It was good times though.

The flight back wasn't nearly as bad as the flight over, although they did change my seat from an aisle to a center seat (Don't ever fly Lufthansa. Ever). And we made it back in one piece. All in all, an amazing trip.

Going to a Mariner's game tonight, then pubquiz at the Ram, so it should be a good time. I'm still trying to figure out all the good places to go out in Seattle. Any suggestions? haha. Anyway, that's about it.

Ciao!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There are some really fun bars in Ballard, lots of new ones too, to check out. Avoid Pioneer Square unless you like the meat-market feel. Geez, it feels like it's been a long time since I've actually gone out in Seattle...I forget where we used to go! Sheesh, getting old.
p.s. why only 1 Schweitz pic? I want more!!!